2015 Photo of the Year
Outdoor Project and Friends of Outdoor School's 14th Annual Photo of the Year contest is now live. The photo categories include Top 100, People in Nature, Professional, Youth submissions, and even Instagram. All proceeds from the contest are donated to Friends of Outdoor School to help get every Oregon 6th grader a week of Outdoor School.
Photo submissions will be accepted from October 15, 2015 through November 20, 2015.
Submitted photos will be reviewed by our esteemed judges by November 22, 2015. They will narrow down the submissions to the Top 100 and the top 10 in the other categories.
Photos that make the cut will be posted for public online voting from November 23 through December 6, 2015.
The top vote getter in each category will earn a People's Choice Award. The judges will also select from the top 10 vote getters in the Top 100 category to select the Photo of the Year and choose from the top five vote getters in the other categories to award a category winner.
The Photo of the Year and the first place winner of each category will be revealed on the Photo of the Year website and in the contest newsletter on December 10, 2015!
Yes! We have prizes! The Photo of the Year winner will get a $100 cash prize and a two-night stay for two at one of Oregon's premier lodges. The category winners of Professional, Youth and People in Nature will each receive a $100 cash prize. The Instagram category winner will receive a $25 gift card to Pro Photo Supply.
Each of the five People's Choice winners will receive an Outdoor Project shirt and hat.
Open to everyone. Professionals and those under 18 submit their images to special categories.
Copyrights & Usage Rights:
Yes, we do have a few rules around here. We suggest following them, as we reserve the right to disqualify any photo or photographer for not doing so.
1. Photographs must have been taken in the calendar year 2015.
2. This contest is aimed at hobby photographers and outdoor enthusiasts. Other than the Professional category, photographs must have been taken by amateur photographers and cannot have been previously used for any promotional or commercial purposes. If you submit photos to an amateur category (Top 100, People in Nature, Youth or Instagram) and are later judged to be a professional, your photos will be moved to the Professional category. See our FAQ for details on who we consider an amateur and who we consider a professional.
3. All photographs must be submitted in a digital form. Photos taken with 35mm cameras may be digitized after development or scanned. Please submit the highest resolution images possible. Photo CDs cannot be returned.
4. Photos taken with a digital camera must be submitted in JPEG format and be NO MORE THAN 5MB in size.
5. For all categories except Professional, minor digital enhancement for cropping, red-eye removal, filters, and corrective functions are permitted. Images that have been judged to be significantly altered (including, but not limited to, HDR technology, selective color change, removal of unwanted elements, etc.) will be disqualified*. Images MUST maintain the integrity of the scene as it was photographed. The panel of judges shall determine if any photos do not align with the spirit of the contest, and reserve the right to disqualify them.
6. Each entrant may submit no more than 5 photographs per $15 submission fee. Note that Youth and Instagram submissions are free. Proceeds from entry fees go directly to Friends of Outdoor School.
7. Entrants grant Photo of the Year, Friends of Outdoor School and Outdoor Project permission to use their photos in any publication, marketing, or fundraising materials for the future promotion of Photo of the Year. All recognizable persons in photographs must grant permission for their likeness to be used prior to submission. Photographers will retain original copyrights to their photos. By submitting your photo(s), you agree to these terms.
8. All decisions of the judging panel and online voting will be confirmed by Friends of Outdoor School and are considered final.
* Digital alteration of any type is allowed for photos entered into the Professional category.