EEF Photography Competition 2018
- Deadline: 30 September 2018
- Website: http://www.eef.org.uk/campaigning/awards-and-competitions/photo
This competition was designed to inspire a new image and improved public perception of UK manufacturing and engineering using photography. From the traditional to the high-tech your images should reflect the strength and diversity of today's UK manufacturing sector.
Entrants captured British products, components or processes in abstract form or in their full glory and enter them into one of four categories:
Each category will have one winner from each skill level:
•Best photograph by a Professional photographer
•Best photograph by an Amateur photographer
•Best photograph by a Young photographer (under 20 years old on 30 September 2018)
Your photograph should represent one or a combination of the following areas:
Product or component
Nothing could be more representative of manufacturing itself than the quality and contribution of its output – both components and finished goods in all their detail and variety. Your image might be of a product or component invented, designed or made in the UK.
•Your image may capture the product or component in its full glory or in abstract form
•Your product may be captured standing proudly in its own right, in the environment within which it is manufactured or the environment or place within which it is used
•Your product or component must have been either invented, designed or made in the UK
Your product must be an article or substance that is manufactured or refined for sale or a thing (but not a person) that is the result of an action or process. Your component must be a part or element of a larger product or a product that is destined to be so.
Show us what best represents today’s dynamic manufacturing environment – the processes which display the transformational characteristics of British manufacturing and/or its lifecycle– from input to output, handicraft to high-tech production; at the macro scale of aircraft product or the micro scale of nanotechnology, prototype to mass production.
Whether it’s the intricacy or precision, the momentum or speed, or the scale – large or small - of the process you choose, your image will capture the ingenuity of British manufacturing at its best.
Your process must involve a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end.
Think creatively - Manufacturing is more than just materials and products, its also about people, design, change, solutions, the future and more.
Overall, the judges will be looking for strong images that raise questions in people’s minds. Does the image provoke surprise or admiration? Will people look at it and say: “I didn’t realise that was part of our UK manufacturing base”? Will it make people wish they had taken the picture and captured this message?
Because we want to find a new set of iconic images which portray the boldness and creativity of UK manufacturing, the quality of its output – products, components and processes - we want your images to reflect a new and contemporary identity which truly showcases the UK manufacturing industry.
As well as a share of the £5,000 prize fund to help continue your passion for photography:
•You’ll receive High-profile media exposure – including the government’s Great Britain campaign.
•The best photos will be exhibited to the public, at ministerial offices and EEF offices across the country.
•The winning images will be displayed at the EEF Future Manufacturing Awards 2018 Gala Dinner, EEF National Manufacturing Conference & Dinner 2019 and a showcase of the best images will be used in our print media and public relations activity.
•You will help educate and redefine the public perception of manufacturing.
Work submitted must not have previously been entered into another competition, including previous EEF Photography Competitions (previously known as the EEF Photography Awards).
Copyrights & Usage Rights:
Condition of Registration and Entry
1. By registering and entering the EEF Photography Competition you agree to these rules and all other terms and conditions.
2. All elements of the work submitted must have been originated by the entrant. While some retouching may have been applied, a significant majority of the final image must remain as shot.
3. Work submitted must not have previously been entered into another competition, including previous EEF Photography Competitions (previously known as the EEF Photography Awards).
4. Those who enter may not be included on the judging panel, attend the judging process, or be involved in any part of the judging procedure.
5. No employee of EEF or sponsor / partner organisations of the competition or their families shall be entitled to enter. Private, supplementary competitions may be administered alongside these categories, for which all other rules apply.
6. Photographs must reflect engineering or manufacturing through products, components or processes that have been made in Britain. Entries need not be confined to British companies so long as they are located in Britain.
7. Entrants under the age of 18 must obtain parental consent prior to submitting their image(s).
1. No copyright is transferred in respect of any images entered.
2. By submitting an image, you agree that EEF Ltd. and any of its partners can display, distribute, publish and alter any of the images in their activities to promote and support UK manufacturing for a period of five years.
3. Successful entries will be reproduced and may be used in various activities in connection with the EEF Photography Competition, which may include the internet, other electronic media, publications or events. By entering the EEF Photography Competition, entrants agree to their photographs being used for publicity purposes.
4. Where necessary, entrants must have permission from the client and photographer to submit the work. The entrant shall be deemed to warrant that they own the entire copyright in the work.
5. The entrant undertakes to indemnify the organisers and their partners and sponsors of the EEF Photography Competition in respect of any breach of the above warranty.